Hornet Nest Treatment
HORNETS ARE SIMILAR TO BEES AND WASPS AND PEOPLE OFTEN GET THEM CONFUSED. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A HORNET’S NEST, IT MAKES SENSE TO CALL OUT A PROFESSIONAL PEST CONTROL TEAM.
A sting from an hornet can certainly be painful. While they are a less common garden insect than bees and wasps, they can nonetheless be a problem if you find a nest around your home or business.
The species we see here in the UK is the European hornet which can grow up to about 40mm and has a distinctive orange body with brownish stripes. It’s can seem quite a bit larger than normal bees and wasps and is often easier to identify because of this.
SIGNS OF A HORNET’S NEST
The odd hornet here and there is not a problem and you should leave well alone if you come across one in the garden. The issue comes when there’s a hornet’s nest nearby. You’ll know this when you have a high number of hornets suddenly appearing out of nowhere. An established nest can have hundreds, even thousands of insects.
These are mostly seen outdoors but can often be found in places like attics if the hornets have been able to get access.
You are more likely to have a hornet infestation, however, if you have trees nearby. Signs of a nest could be insects going in and out of a cavity and you might also notice bark stripped off the tree (they do this to harvest the sap). You’re also likely to see plenty of hornets around this area, especially at dusk.
DEALING WITH A HORNET INFESTATION
It can be tempting to deal with a hornet nest yourself but you should certainly avoid this if you, or anyone in your family, is likely to be allergic to their bites, the nest is in an awkward place or it’s been found indoors.
If you do decide to approach a nest, you should ensure you wear protective clothing for obvious reasons. While hornets are less aggressive than wasps and bees, that certainly doesn’t mean they won’t sting you.
All Clear Pest Control operates across the southwest. We’ll be able to bring the right tools to help rid your home or business of any major hornet infestation. We can be onsite in next to no time and provide you with all the expertise and know how you need to solve the problem and get you back to normal.
OUR SERVICE PROMISE
- Our service is always discreet and we use unmarked vans wherever we operate in the Southwest.
- We have the experience and training to deal with a variety of hornet and wasp nests and can also give clients advice on prevention for the future.
- A lot will depend on the location of the nest, of course. While removal is the best treatment, this isn’t always possible but there are other options available.
Advice And Information
- Hornets, unlike bees do not die when the sting so do not approach a nest.
- Hornets can choose to nest both in indoor and outdoor spaces Such as, lofts, balconies roofs and trees